History of Most Holy Trinity Church
In the spring of 1942, twenty-three people gathered in a vacant store at 7th and Dunlap Street to celebrate the Eucharist. The storeowner, however, sold the building forcing those faithful Catholics to use a private home for Sunday Mass. As their number increased, three acres of land on 7th Street were acquired for the construction of a small chapel, called "Mission of Our Lady of the Wayside" (the current St. Thomas Aquinas Hall on the north side of McHugh Hall).
On November 1, 1951, the Bishop of Tucson established Most Holy Trinity Catholic Church under the loving care of Monsignor Neil McHugh. The parish quickly grew to include a school and a temporary convent in 1953. Construction of the present church building was completed in late 1957, followed by the Rectory (the current parish office building) in 1962. In 1967, a convent (the current rectory) was completed.
Most Holy Trinity Parish is currently under the leadership of the priests and sisters of The Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity. Information regarding this order can be found at http://www.societyofourlady.net/.
The Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT) is a society of apostolic life comprised of priests, brothers, deacons, sisters, and laity. Our primary apostolate is to serve the areas of deepest apostolic need. We serve in missions across the world in the following specific areas: parishes, education, evangelization, migrants and refugees,
catechetics, ecumenism, drug addiction, prisons, healing, government, military, promoting peace and justice, marriage and family life, youth, abandoned & homeless children, the poor and destitute.
Our charism (the gift that our community gives to the world) is ecclesial family teams. When we serve at a mission, we strive to serve with our SOLT priests and brothers, SOLT sisters, and SOLT laity, thereby witnessing how the Trinity lives, as three persons in One God. We live as three vocations in one family. The Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT) was founded in 1958 by Fr. James Flanagan.